Sunday, March 4, 2012

My headache journey

This is a blog about my journey with migraine headaches and my attempt to be rid of them.
I've had migraines since I was 5 years old.  I am 32.

For Lent I was feeling like God has been calling me to give up something... a bigger challenge than usual. But I wasn't exactly sure what.  My friend, Keith posted a link to this page and something spoke to me through this article about what Lent is :http://www.sojo.net/blogs/2012/02/21/fat-tuesday-and-skinny-wednesday# Long story short, I started reading a book about healing your migraines (http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Headache-Program-Taking/dp/0761125663/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330321519&sr=1-1) and started reading the book, with the intent of starting this "migraine plan" over Lent.  And so it begins.

My "heal your headache" plan has started.  And let me just say, IT. SUCKS.  This is what I have to give up:

1) All migraine treatment medication with rebound effect (basically anything that actually works when I have a headache, which is currently 2-4x/wk).
2) Chocolate
3) Caffeine.  Goodbye coffee.  Goodbye Diet Coke.  Goodbye Chai Tea Latte.
4) All nuts (adios peanut butter and trail mix)
5) All fresh breads
6) Dried fruits in sulfites, all citrus fruits, avocados, plums, bananas.  (odd list, eh?).  Onions too,
7) All alcohol.  Sigh.
8) Sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk, all aged cheeses.
9) All processed meats.
10) Vinegar.

Can you make a meal out of what's left?  All I can figure out is milk, eggs and toast.  Yum.  =P

I have to try this for 4 months.  I'll keep you posted.  So far I've had some withdrawal from caffeine, but honestly not that badly since it's impossible to remember what NOT to eat and to eat in a restaurant w/o all those ingredients.

My hope and prayer is that by giving up somethings I will be gaining something much greater... the sacrifice will be worth it for God is in this and He is good.  I'm hoping to give up a lot in order to gain something much better - a pain free life.

No comments:

Post a Comment